Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Personal Art Thing #1

I said I wanted to do something personal, and here it is! Hot off the presses, the first in a line of paper-cuts that I hope to experiment with further in on going pieces.





This is nothing but a single sheet of bristol board (I think) with lines cut into it and raised at different heights to give sense of depth. I originally didn't want so many lines in it and the ones I did have cut were all to be raised, with light hitting them, to create shadows to imply wrinkles, form, and shape. Alas, I think of one thing in my head and my hands do another.

Picasso and that other fella he worked with in creating cubism were both fascinated with the idea of capturing three dimensions in two dimensions. I'm not saying that this is it but I, too, am fascinated with such a preposterous idea. With it, I've always been interested in reliefs and friezes and have often wanted to make my own, I just never knew what. Take what you will from it, but this piece is an experiment in both fields on a medium I just love to play around with.

Now, I just need to frame it and sell it.

Like I'd keep something like this around. Psh.

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea, thought I was looking at an illustration at first. I suppose in some form it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've got a hard time figuring out what it is, too.

    ReplyDelete